Updated January 2020
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that is stored on your your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
The following cookies may be used:
- Analytical/performance cookies. These allow the site to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around the website when they are using it. This helps to improve the way the website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to the website. This enables the website to personalise content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to the website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. This information may be used to make the website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. This information may also be shared with third parties for this purpose.
Both first and third-party cookies may be set on this website:
- First party cookies – these are set by the website that you are visiting and can only be read by that website.
- Third party cookies – these are set by an organisation other than the owner of the website. This might be for the purposes of website measurement, being able to watch a video on the site or for the purposes of advertising.
Cookies last for different lengths of time depending on what they are used for:
- Session cookies are temporary cookies and are only stored until you leave the website or when you close your web browser.
- Persistent cookies last for a fixed period of time, defined within the cookie, and allow the website to recognise the device again when the user returns to that website on that device.
You may block cookies by activating the settings in your browser that allows you to refuse the creation of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the site.