In Victorian times Gringley was fairly self sufficient. The 1864 Business Directory incidates there were a variety of shops and businesses. Gringley even had its own policeman, J. Earp (no relation). Gradually over time shops closed and by the early 1970s only Cross Hill Stores and the Post Office next to the Blue Bell on the High Street remained.
Pre 1918. Cross Hill - Whaley's bakers to the left of the cart (now Acorn House), and general stores behind the cart (now Trust Cottage)
Same view as above but later
1935. Bill Hunter outside Masons Butchers, High Street, (opposite the church)
1900s. Gringley Central Stores (now Ridgewood, opposite Horsewells Street).
Known as Dixons, then Blackwells - closed in 1963.
North Beeches seen to the left of the photo.
Saddlers Shop, High Street, opposite Ravenhill. (Saddlers Cottage to the left of the shop).
Rennisons, cycle repairs. High Street (next to Montem House)
Rennisons Garage more recently c.1980s (Buttercross Cottage now stands on the site).
The Post Office (now North/South Beeches), High Street.
J H Hunter & Sons, Joiners and Undertakers, Gosforth House, High Street