Streets, Lanes, Roads and Avenues
Beacon end of High Street. (The houses here have all gone now)
Similar view as above, 2020
1891. Bank End
1911. Coronation, 'children marching' (outside Ravenhill)
Rennisons Garage (now Buttercross Cottage, opposite the church). In later years the garage and petrol station also accommodated a Spar Shop
1910. Hannah Horsley outside Holly Dene
Outside North/South Beeches (left)
Sophia Gill outside her son's house, now Kippax Cottage
Ivy Dene and North View
Ivy Dene and North View were owned by the same family at one time. Ivy Dene is the older property. In 1869 Joseph Wall and his wife Mary sold to Thomas Olivant The dwelling house (divided into two) with the grocers shop, warehouse and outbuildings. There is a suggestion that Mary Wall ran a drapers shop from her property.
The Old Coach House before renovation, High Street/Cross Hill corner, 1981
Two photos of Ridgewood House,
top 1920s, bottom 1970s
Colley Cottage 2020
Acorn House (once Whaley's Bakers)
& Trust Cottage (once Cross Hill Stores)
Lyndale, Cross Hill
Standing in front of the house is Joseph Wilkinson who was born there in 1839, the youngest son of Catherine and Elisha Wilkinson.
The original photograph was taken in September 1895.
The Horse Well and cottages
The Manse, now The Homestead (corner of Finkell Street and Horsewells Street)
'Ashers Farm', on the corner of Little Lane/Horsewells Street
Formerly Little Garth, now renamed Pear Tree Cottage - the converted barns are now a separate property named The Barns (2020)
The Barns, formerly part of Ashers Farm, Little Lane
Jasmine Cottage 1910?
Jasmine Cottage, 2020
BEECH CLOSE, LITTLE LANE
Beech Close is named after Edgar Beech whose farm once stood on the site and was called Orchard House Farm. Thank you to Alana Parker who sent a picture of great grandfather's farm.
Orchard Close Farm, Little Lane - Beech Close now stands on this site
More information on the Beech Family can be found in 'Articles'
Sunnybank 1980s (now Sunnybank Cottage)
Finkell Street, Sunnybank on the right of the photo. C1920s
Sheep on Finkell Street (courtesy Michael Needham)
? 1 and 2 Finkell Street (corner of Finkell Street/Horswells Street)
Finkell Street, 2020
Appleton House Farm to the left of the photo
Courtesy of Michael Needham
The photograph above shows Walkers Farm at the end of Pitt Lane.
The farm house with building and farm yard ran down the left hand side of Pitt Lane (Philip Hardy)
The gentleman to the left in the photo is Phil Hardy's grand-dad
Thanks to the Hardy family for sharing this photo and to Peter Beresford for forwarding it to us
Work began on the by-pass in the early 1930s. It was completed by 1939/1940. During the war years only one half of the dual carriageway was opened. One side of the road was used for storing tanks. Prior to the by-pass being completed the route from Bawtry to Gainsborough would have taken travellers along Gringley High Street.
Fields and pond where the dual carriageway now runs. View from the Beacon towards Clayworth
The Green before the dual carriageway was constructed. Beacon Hill seen in the background to the right of the photo
The Fairpiece is the piece of land opposite Gringley Hall. It is common land and has been used for centuries by the village. It was depleted in size when the dual carriageway was constructed in the 1930s. In the past an Annual Fair was held here on the 13th December for the trading of sheep, cattle, boots, cloth and blankets. A Hiring Fair for the employment of servants was held on 1st November. Horse trading also went on here.
A press clipping of 1833 reports that the fair, “which was most particularly known for the sale of horned cattle and shoes was thinly attended” with “the times being so altered as to render the latter vendors’ attendance almost useless”. This raises two questions – why was Gringley so renowned for its shoe trade (and this reputation is reinforced by other sources), and why did folk suddenly stop buying them??
The Fairpiece before 1918
The Fairpiece and the new by-pass to the right of the photo
Middlebridge Road is sometimes referred to in old documents as Low Street.
Harwell House (left of photo), 1907
Shamrock Cottage C2019
Harwell House, left of photo. Shamrock Cottage and Hillside Cottage to right, 2020
c1986/7 Cairnhope, centre, with its outbuildings just visible to the right.
The outbuildings were sold separately and developed, now Hazel Cottage.
To the left of the photo is Valley Farm, (with white door), before demolition and rebuilding
House and outbuildings sometime late 1970s/1980 prior to demolition and subsequent rebuilding
WEST WELLS LANE
These houses in West Wells Lane were built for use of staff working at the Detention Centre.
West Wells Lane, C1970
Building commenced in Laycock Avenue under the Housing Act of 1936. 20 houses were built initially, 2 further homes were built in 1943 and 14 more in 1946. Hunters Drive was developed in 1961 with the construction of 8 bungalows, followed by 6, 2 bedroom bungalows in Windsor Close.
The Laycock family of Wiseton Hall maintained a strong connection with Gringley. Sir Joseph Laycock founded the hospital at Gringley Hall. His son Robert Laycock was an important military figure.
Thanks to David Wagstaff for this photo
Laycock Avenue and cherry blossom trees C1980??